Topic: “Red Mold”. Molds can occur in various colors and their color is an aid in the identification of the type of fungus and its health risks.

Molds are known to occur in blue mold, green mold, white mold, black mold and red color. Red molds are usually benign and non-toxic. But this certainly does not mean it cannot cause allergic reactions.

Red molds most commonly seen in the home are of two types, Aspergillus versicolor, and the yeast Rhodotorula.

red moldRed molds are also quite often referred to as ‘Red Yeasts’ because of their non-toxic and harmless nature.

Where Does Red Mold Grow

Molds are commonly found growing in places that are moist and humid. Another condition for them to grow is to have plenty of organic matter to feed on.

Water damaged buildings, bathrooms, and basements are most susceptible to mold growth. However, red molds can also be found growing under carpets and mattresses.

Carpets and mattresses may not directly be in contact with water or moisture, but if you live in a water-damaged building then leakage and seepage anywhere around you can cause molds to grow in unexpected places.

red moldBathroom tiles, kitchen marble, shower cabinets, bathroom sinks and other places alike are most commonly subject to growth of red mold.

Health Risks of Red Mold

Red mold, among most other molds, is the most benign and non-toxic. It does not have extreme health risks associated with it because of its mycotoxin content is insignificant.

But this should not wave off your concern. Firstly, because molds grow in moisture and red molds growing can mean the growth of other kinds as well.

Secondly, red molds are not entirely benign, if their spores are inhaled they can most certainly cause extreme allergic reactions.

If red molds are found growing on food, you should immediately discard the food because it is no longer fit for consumption.

Some foods have yeasts that are made to grow on them as it is part of the fermentation. If that is the case, then red molds are not harmful in that case.

Red molds are however not entirely non-toxic, they can also release toxic spores depending on certain types of mold species.

Some species may appear to be red, but they may have harmful mycotoxins present and therefore must not come in close contact to your skin.

Removal of Red Mold

Red molds (or red yeasts) are most commonly found growing on hard and non-porous surfaces. Such as bathroom tiles, kitchen sinks and counter corners that are made of marble.

Apart from that, bathroom sinks and shower cabinets are equally susceptible to mold growth because of excessive exposure to moisture and water.

When the red mold is growing on hard surfaces like these. It can be removed fairly simply using ammonia, borax, bleach, and vinegar.

However, if it is found growing on porous surfaces such as wooden furniture or hardboard, one cannot use such agents because they are not effective on surfaces that absorb.

Commercially available mold removal sprays are the best option you have against mold growing almost anywhere.

Related Topics: Red Mold

How to get rid of red mold

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *