Topic: Signs of Black Mold in House; Mold can grow almost anywhere as long as the conditions are favorable for its growth. In most cases, mold can simply be a harmful growth somewhere in the house that only looks bad. However, there are instances when mold can be dangerous.

Molds release spores in the air and these spores contain a toxic compound known as mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are quite literally the poison content in molds. Excessive exposure to mold spores can cause mycotoxin poisoning. Furthermore, this can lead to serious health issues such as cancer is if the mycotoxins are carcinogenic.

8 Signs of Toxic Mold In Your Home & How to Get Rid of It?

Therefore, it is fairly important to understand that mold could be growing in your home and you have to do something about it. There are a few signs that you can indicate the presence of molds in your home. If you happen to realize that one or more is more pertinent to your situation, it is strongly advised to consult an expert.

Signs of Black Mold in House

Here are some signs that strongly suggest that there is mold in your home.

Health Signs That Indicates Mold In House

Mold Sickness Symptoms
  • Constant Cold
  • Having Breathing Difficulties
  • Clothes Make You Feel Itchy
  • Coughing
  • Stuffy nose
  • Red eyes

Visual Signs of Black Mold in House

  • You Smell Something Musty
  • AC Smells Musty
  • Bathroom Tiles Getting Dark
  • Wallpaper is Chipping Off
  • Unevenly Colored Patches on the Wall

1- The Blow from Your AC Smells Musty

Air ducts for heating and cooling can very conveniently gather moisture. This moisture then causes mold to grow. This is more pertinent in the outdoor units of air conditioners because when the AC is used, it gets gathers moisture. Later when the AC is not in use, the unit is exposed to the outdoor heat. This makes the dark, warm and moist environment very ideal for mold growth.

Furthermore, to combat this it is advised to get an HVAC specialist to regularly check your AC for potential problems.

2- The Tiles in Your Bathroom are Getting Dark

Usually, it is not the tiles themselves, it is rather the space between the tiles that gets darker. If you see that happening, then there is a high chance that mold is growing in your bathroom.

Usually, this kind of mold is relatively harmless. However, if there has been standing water in your bathroom recently or flooding in some other nearby room, then it could also be toxic.

In either case, getting professional help is the safest way out.

3- Your Wallpaper is Chipping Off

Wallpapers usually have a lifetime after which they will peel off. While that will eventually come, mold could also be a reason for it to peel off.

If there is excessive moisture in your walls then it can definitely mean mold is there too. A sign of excessive moisture is a warped wallpaper that peels off in an uneven manner.

If this is happening, you will need to get your wallpaper removed and the wall thoroughly dried. Meanwhile, it is a good idea to look out for any leaks or pockets of moisture in the wall. After complete dehumidifying, you can have a new wallpaper installed.

4- You Are Having Signs of Constant Cold

A cold usually goes away, even without medication after a certain period of time. But mycotoxin poisoning can give you symptoms of mold that just won’t go away no matter what.

This is because mold spores deposit mycotoxins in your body that won’t be detoxed with regular medication.

A sign that your cold is from mold poisoning is that your symptoms worsen when in a particular room of the house. If that is the case, you might want to get a mold test around the house.

5- There are Unevenly Colored Patches on the Wall

Moisture inside the walls is more apparent when it has been there for an elongated period. However, it takes a while to start showing if there is a leak inside the wall. On the other hand, excessive moisture in the room may also cause colored spots on the wall.

Mold doesn’t always have to be slimy or fuzzy, unevenly color spots on the wall are also due to mold most of the times.

If you see an unusual number of colored spots on your wall, you may want to call in a professional. Usually such kind of mold does not require a reconstruction effort. A simple dehumidification and mold removal can do the trick.

Furthermore, if this is happening, it is also wise to check for any leaks in the wall. Ruptures or leaks or your roof can also soak the walls from inside. Colored spots are a good indicator of such leaks.

6- You Are Having Breathing Difficulties

Mold spores directly affect your lungs and more severe cases can result in an upper respiratory tract infection.

If there is mold inside your home, then a clear indication of that is you getting breathing difficulties. Constant exposure to mold spores will deposit mycotoxins in your respiratory system, which results in breathing difficulties.

Moreover, if you previously have asthma or another breathing problem, you will see that it suddenly aggravates. This is another very strong indication of mold presence when you can’t find a reason for your breathing problem to aggravate.

7- Your Clothes Make You Feel Itchy

Either through mold rash or through mold present in the fabric of your clothes, you can feel itchy. Moisture in or around your wardrobe can inevitably cause mold to grow in the wardrobe. Mold needs organic content to feed on and clothing makes great nourishment for molds to thrive. Therefore, moisture can very easily cause molds to be growing on your clothes.

A clear indication of that happening is that you feel itchy because of your clothes. Another indication is that your skin gets irritated fairly easily or shows signs of redness and swelling. This is when you have a mold rash. Mold rash can be treated with lotions and detoxing.

However, in either case, it is highly advised to consult a professional and have a mold text in different parts of the home.

8- You Smell Something Musty

If you feel like a certain part of the house smells particularly musty then there is a high chance of mold growth in that place.

Furthermore, if there is a lot of moisture in that particular area as well, then it can most certainly mean mold. The musty smell may also be coming every time, you enter the house, and this is a larger problem because it means excessive mold presence.

It is advised to get immediate professional help in such a case because the smell is coupled with spores and mycotoxins and this can cause bigger problems.

Use an Air Humidifier

An air humidifier is usually a good idea if you live in a place with a dry climate. However, the thing with humidifiers is that they concentrate a lot of moisture in one place and this causes uneven humidification.

When using humidifiers, it is usually a good idea to change its place every now and then. However, using a humidifier can also mean mold growth if used in one place for too long. Although there isn’t always a chance for that to happen, their possibility is there. Therefore, before making any solid conclusion, be sure to see if there are any other signs of black mold in house.

Related Topics: Black Mold

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *