What is Black Mold
Today’s topic: “How to Get Rid of Black Mold”, it is in most cases the most mature form of molds. When molds start growing, it has a light color (usually white) and as it matures, it attains a darker color like black or blue.
Black mold is among the most common nuisance of the American household. However, if there is a trivial problem, it can be easily sorted out at home.
Black molds are most common in households, especially in places which are moist and humid. Molds feed on organic matter and some places that are most prone to mold growth are,
- Under the carpets
- Under the mattresses
- Walls subject to seepage
- Inside water-damaged buildings
- In basements
- Inside walls (on insulation)
- Inside wardrobes and cupboards
- In bathrooms (tiles and sinks)
One thing is common in most of these places, that they are exposed to moisture. Basements have the most mold growing because domestic appliances such as washing machines, dryers, and boilers are found in basements.
They release vapors and these cause mold growths. Black molds have a very high toxin content known as “mycotoxins”.
Mycotoxins can cause a range of health problems if in contact with the skin, inhaled or eaten with food. Molds release mycotoxins with spores and hence if molds grow in your home, it is very important for you to get off them immediately.
How to Get Rid of Black Mold in Shower, Walls, Wood
Depending on the intensity of the mold that grows in your home, you can choose to remove it on your own or you can call for experts.
Experts are usually the best option because you are dealing with a reasonably dangerous species and harsh chemicals.
However, if the mold situation is not too intense, you are good to do it on your own because the professional removal of molds can cost up to $6000.
Therefore, if it can be done at home, you should always save where you can.
Here are a number of home-based methods to remove molds,
Vinegar is domestically available and is one of the most inexpensive methods to remove black molds.
The best part about using vinegar is that it penetrates porous surfaces and can remove mold from almost anywhere.
Use an absorbent fabric (preferably a towel), dump it with the vinegar and simply wipe off the mold.
Be careful to use gloves and wear clothing that covers most of the skin because the mold should not be touching your skin under any case.
If possible, also use eye protection because spores are also sometimes known to cause eye irritation.
Ammonia is even cheaper than vinegar and is available in almost every hardware store. You can buy a small bottle for a very little amount.
Use ammonia in the same way that you use vinegar. Soak a cloth (or a towel) in ammonia and rub off all the mold.
If the mold flakes off, then be sure to collect it in a plastic bag at least 6mm thick and discard off properly.
Ammonia, however, has one predominant disadvantage that it does not penetrate porous surfaces and instead aggravates the mold growth on porous surfaces.
This is because when mold grows on porous surfaces, its roots are present inside the surface whereas ammonia only removes the mold superficially.
The active ingredients function on top whereas the water component is absorbed into the surface and hence makes conditions more ideal for mold growth.
Therefore, ammonia must only be used on non-porous surfaces such as bathrooms tiles and sinks.
Bleach is a very effective agent against molds, also because it is very efficient in removing stains that molds leave on the surface where they grow.
Bleach is used in much the same way as any other agent to remove mold.
Be sure to be careful while using these chemicals because they shouldn’t be spilled.
Using Mold Removal Sprays
Mold removal sprays are by far the most effective agent against molds that grow around the home.
These sprays are available usually for a little over than a dollar in most grocery stores. Although they cost slightly more than most other domestic products, they are very helpful in the process.
Mold removal sprays can be used on porous and non-porous surfaces therefore not limiting where you can use them and if a spray is present in your home, you can use it whenever needed.
Hope you get enough knowledge on how to get rid of black mold, Feel free to contact us if you need professional hands to remove any kind of mold in your house.
Black Mold in Shower
Showers are among the most susceptible places for mold to grow in. This is because there may be water and soap that could be left standing in the shower.
This is largely a reason for mold to grow in the shower. Gratefully enough, it is extremely easy to get rid of mold from the shower and the bathroom in general.
You can use bleach or vinegar as a water diluted solution and this should be good enough for almost any mold situation in the bathroom.
Since most bathroom mold grows on the tiles or the ceramic fittings (such as the sink), the mold will only be superficial.
This means that it does not penetrate the surface that it grows on and hence almost any mold removal product or domestic item can be used to remove the mold.
Remove Black Mold From Walls
Walls usually absorb mold this means that while a mold is growing, its roots can penetrate the wall and hence a superficial removal will not do the trick.
In such a case, it is often wise to use a chlorine bleach and water mixture. One may also a use a domestic detergent which has bleach in it.
Don’t forget to wear a protective face mask and gloves because molds release spores which may cause health issues ranging from respiratory infections to cancer if the spores are carcinogenic.
Black mold, however, is not as harmful, but a reasonable amount of care should still be taken, and protective measure are a must.
Simply soak the cloth in the cleaning solution and wipe off all the mold.
Remove Mold from Wood
Wood is much harder to deal with when removing black mold because of a number of reasons. The mold firstly absorbs into the wood and even if you remove it superficially, it will most certainly grow again.
Secondly, any experimental agent used to remove mold from wood may end up ruining the polish or the finish of the wood. In some cases, it may even damage the wood itself.
Therefore, one recommended way to remove mold from wood is to use a commercially available mold removal spray that works on wood.
It is extremely easy to use, simply spray and clean. After finishing, let the product dry completely before bringing indoors.
Related Topics: Black Mold
Additional Resources & References: