Molds are a natural species that are found wherever the conditions are ideal for their growth i.e., the right amount of oxygen and water. They belong to the fungi kingdom and are a common household occurrence in moist and humid places.

They can be found in ceilings, wooden cabinets, hardwood separations and even floorboards.

Molds usually feed on organic matter and with a bunch of health risks associated with them, they can be a bit of a nuisance within the household.

Getting rid of molds is a basic necessity for a healthy living.

In order to get rid of molds, one needs to know what exactly they are dealing with. There are several types of molds and all of them have different health risks and treatments.

Molds that are dangerous are of three basic types,


A class of molds that cause allergic reactions.


A class of molds that aggravate acute illnesses.


A class of toxic molds that may even be fatal.

It is important to identify a mold to be able to treat it. Here are the most common types of molds one may encounter at home.


It is toxigenic in nature and it appears different as it matures. It is usually found in cool places such as drainage channels, air humidifiers, and cooling pipes.

It is highly dangerous as its exposure can lead to diseases in the bone marrow and it can cause weakening of the immune system.


It is allergenic in nature and is the most common household mold. Although not very dangerous, Alternaria can cause respiratory problems, difficulty in breathing and upper respiratory tract infections.

It is dark colored, has green or brown hairs and a velvety texture.

This type of mold is most common in places that are usually very damp, such as sinks, bathtubs and shower cabinets.


Approximately 200 different kinds of Aspergillus can be found in certain places around the world and mostly in America. They occur in different colors.

Aspergillus is a pathogenic mold but can potentially be toxigenic depending on the type of environment and nutrition available to the fungus.

Furthermore, not only does the mold impart lung diseases, asthma, and respiratory infections, it also contains substances known to be a deadly carcinogen.


It belongs to the allergenic class of molds and is usually found growing on wood, enclosed spaces and behind wallpapers.

Initially, the fungus usually has a pink, brown or black color but as it matures, it takes up a dark brown color.

The mold can also be found growing on painted surfaces since molds feed on organic materials.

The mold should never directly be touched because it can cause skin diseases and other diseases in the eyes and nails.


It is usually found growing on walls that seep water and has a cotton-like structure. It is a common household sight if a water pipe leaks somewhere around your walls.

The mold is initially white, but on different stages of growth, it turns grey, brown and finally black.

Chaetomium causes skin and nail infections and weakens the immune system.


  1. Frank Britt

    I have 2 chairs under the porch in the basement that have cloth seats that appear to have white mold on them. This area is moist. Is this mold likely to be carcinogenic or toxic? The chairs have been there since May 2019. How do I get the chairs out of this room? Should I spray them and put plastic around them? Will charcoal help filter out spores?

    1. Natalie Eilee Article Author

      Hi @Frank

      Thanks for your visit. The first step is to take the furniture outside because the mold spores may spread inside the house and cause mold growth somewhere else.

      You can use vinegar, detergent or bleach (on a sponge that is slightly damp) and wipe off the mold. An anti-fungal spray may also be used for better effects.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *