Topic: “Mold Rash Symptoms“. Black molds are although a hot topic for most citizens being affected by it, nonetheless, many people are unaware of the health risks and their treatment.

In some very severe cases of extreme exposure to molds and their spores, the consequences can be fatal.

However, mold rash is also something very common and can easily be acquired if there is a certain exposure to molds.

What is Mold Rash?

A rash is skin inflammation, redness, swelling and irritation of the skin. It is caused by allergic reactions.

This said, black molds can cause allergic reactions in many people and also weaken their immune system against it and cause many other diseases.

Mold rash does not go away unless you get rid of the mold, even if you treat it. The symptoms only grow and in order to get rid of the symptoms, you have to finish any exposure to molds.

In some cases, one may even develop a rash in the throat which impedes breathing and consequently causes death.

However, this is a very extreme and sensitive case of mold rash, most rashes do not have such catastrophic consequences.

Mold Rash Symptoms

The symptoms of mold rash can often be confused with those of other diseases. Symptoms of mold rash often include sneezing, itching, runny nose, congestion, and dry, scaling skin.

It is important to include here that mold rash can be caused in different places at different times of the year.

Indoor molds are in most cases independent of external conditions and if the conditions are ideal, these molds can thrive throughout the year.

As said earlier, although mold can grow almost anywhere, there are some places where it can be more abundant.

Basements are usually damp, and the excessive wooden structures make conditions more than just ideal.

Basements are therefore more prone to have mold growth and hence can cause mold rash throughout the year.

Other places in the home like bathrooms and the kitchen are equally ideal for molds to grow.

Outdoor molds, however, are not as effective as indoor molds at certain times of the year.

Read: How to find hidden mold

They usually thrive more during the summer and the fall, but this basically depends on climatic conditions and humidity.

Mold rash symptoms may further be accompanied by hay fever symptoms and since these spores are inhaled, they may also cause lung problems, asthma being the most prominent.

The nasal congestion in mold rash often worsens over time and this is a very strong symptom of mold rash.

Mold Rash Pictures

Mold Rash
Mold Rash

Ways to Prevent Mold Allergies

Mold rash can be prevented by cutting down on exposure to molds. This is usually the tricky part because one may expect the symptoms to be from some other health problems and they may even take medication for it.

But the thing with mold diseases is that they can only be cured by cutting down on exposure.

The first step is to go to a doctor and get treatment, and once the problem has been identified, one should cut down the exposure and if the mold is present in your home, it is wise to have it remediated immediately.

Treating Mold Rash

Anti-allergies are needed to stem allergic reactions. Antihistamines are a suitable anti-allergy and can be purchased over the counter.

You may even use something recommended by your doctor which can be bought from a prescription.

Antibiotics are needed to get rid of any infection that the rash causes. In simple words, basic medication saves the day.

Mold Allergy Treatment & Medication

A most important part of your treatment is to treat yourself while being in a mold-free environment. For that, it is necessary that you remediate mold in your home.

A number of commercially available products can be used to effectively remediate the mold and clear up any roots it might have around the house.

Before diving in for a mold allergy treatment, there are two things that need to be taken care of. Firstly, you need to make sure whether you have a mold allergy.

For this you can either go for a skin prick test or a blood test, in either case, a physician can tell you exactly if you have a mold allergy.

Once it has been identified that your allergy is because of mold, the next step is to cut off all exposure from the mold until your condition gets better.

Mold allergy only intensifies when exposure is continued because the mycotoxins deposit in your system and the situation only gets worse because of further deposit.

One way to do it is to go live with another family member or a friend for a couple of days until your condition gets better. This would also be a good time to call in a professional to remediate the mold and dehumidify the entire home.

Once you cut down all exposure to mold, you can proceed with treatment. The following treatment methods may be used in a combination or as instructed by your doctor.

Nasal Sprays

A mold allergy may cause upper respiratory tract infections or inflammations which is the primary reason for excessive coughing and sneezing.

A nasal spray clears up and reduces inflammation that is caused by these kinds of infections.

Doctors often recommend nasal sprays as a first step towards treating mold allergies because molds mainly cause problems in the respiratory and system and secondly because nasal sprays are so effective.

Although these sprays are safe for use and do not always have side effects even after a long-term use but for some people they may cause nosebleeds or dryness in the nasal cavity.

You can distance the intervals in which you use the spray to avoid side effects.

Antihistamines

When your immune system responds to an infection or a disease, it releases histamines as antibodies which cause problems like itching, sneezing, and inflammation.

These histamines can be dealt with by using an antihistamine medication or a lotion on a part of the body where there is excessive itching.

Some antihistamines which have been selling for a long time normally cause drowsiness and fatigue. However, newer antihistamine drugs that are available as over-the-counter medicines do not affect cognition and can be used between work and school.

An antihistamine normally imparts a dry mouth but no serious side effects.

Oral Decongestants

Oral decongestants also help against congestion and inflammation. Over the counter, oral decongestants can be used as an effective treatment against mold allergy but this does not always suit everyone.

These drugs can increase heart rate and thereby increase blood pressure therefore if you suffer from hypertension and blood pressure issues, it is best to resort to some other kind of treatment.

Dosage should also be based on a prescription.

Nasal Decongestion Sprays

A nasal decongestion spray reduces congestion in the nasal cavity, but its use is recommended to be regulated.

Once you use a nasal decongestion spray, it reduces nasal congestion by a good amount but if you consistently use it for about 4 days or more, your body gets used to functioning with a decongestion spray and then you will have more severe congestion without using the spray.

It is therefore advised to use a decongestion spray only in case of severe congestion and its use should only be limited to three or four days, or as prescribed by a physician.

Montelukast

Also known as Singulair, these tablets help patients with asthma who cannot tolerate nasal sprays.

They are not as effective as nasal sprays but help when there are mild asthma and breathing irritation.

Immunotherapy

Immunotherapy involves shots that impart immunity to certain kinds of diseases and allergies.

A specific kind of allergy shot for mold allergy can be used as immunotherapy, this helps patients develop a strong immunity towards most molds.

Nasal Lavage

Nasal lavage is a home-based method that can be used to clear the nose from any congestion or irritation that comes with respiratory issues caused by mold allergies.

A nasal lavage includes a saltwater solution (with distilled/boiled (and cooled) water) in an irrigation apparatus such as a squeeze bottle.

A suitable squeeze bottle is one that comes in a sinus rinse. This process is basically just cleaning your nasal cavity for any irritants using saltwater.

Every time you use the squeeze bottle (or whatever apparatus you are using), be sure to rinse it properly because the saltwater can leave deposits in the apparatus which can render it useless.

Sleep with the Windows Closed

An important part of treating mold allergy is to sleep with the windows closed at night. The reason for night specifically is that when the weather gets cool at night, the density of mold spores present in the outdoor air increases.

With the higher concentration of mold spores, it is best for you to close the windows at night so as to keep those spores out of your house.

Related Topics: Mold Sickness

Additional Resources & References:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/

https://www.everydayhealth.com

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *