The orange mold may just be a slightly uncommon sight in your home as black and green molds are more common. But if you have orange mold growing in your home it most certainly means that there is enough moisture for mold growth.

Orange mold appears as slimy spots on your walls, tiles, and bathroom, etc. It is equally disgusting to green and black mold.

Although orange mold may not be extremely adverse against your health, it’s a presence in your home simply means that you have to do something to get rid of orange mold.

 

Orange Mold Look Like

Getting mold removed by experts is quite an expensive work and the price can go from $600 to $30,000.

Orange mold is not very dangerous to health and the best thing to do is to remove it at home through certain procedures.

Before removing the orange mold, it is important to know where it grows and how it grows.

Where Does Orange Mold Grow?

Orange mold mostly grows inside bathrooms. A bathroom is a place which is constantly exposed to water and it is not uncommon to have a wet bathroom most time of the day.

Tiles, sinks, shower cabinets, and bathtubs, etc. are very prone to mold growth.

Other than that, mold can also grow inside the toilet and in some cases, it also grows inside water pipes and faucets.

Moreover, wood is a potential surface for the orange mold to grow on.

One of the more unsightly places for orange mold to grow on is food. Foods such as yogurt, cheese, bread, and food containers are also common.

However, if you find mold growing in any of these places, it’s no big deal. Here are a few methods for you to get rid of the orange mold at home.

Get Rid of Orange Mold On Wood Furniture Using Vinegar

The first thing to do is to keep your bathroom, kitchen, shower area (and any other place where mold grows) clean and dry.

It is important to clean the shower area regularly because shampoo and soap can cause acidic reactions and hence mold growth.

If you find mold growing somewhere, you need to create a vinegar water solution.

Do this by adding 50% water and 50% vinegar inside a container and soak a towel in the solution.

Wipe off any mold using the towel. The next step is to keep the place dry and clean.

Also, flush properly because mold may grow due to bacterial activity inside the toilet bowl and keep your refrigerator clean on the inside to avoid mold growth on food.

Step 1

The first step is to take the furniture or the wooden artifact out in the open (if possible). This is because removing mold indoors will leave the mold spores in your house.

This can cause further growth of the mold.

Step 2

Use a vinegar-water solution that is a 50%dilute by volume.

Vinegar penetrates deep into the wood and kills the mold from the roots.

When you have completely removed the mold, you can also use wash it with a wet towel soaked in water because vinegar leaves a foul smell.

Be sure not to use bleach in any case because it will most certainly ruin the finish of your wood.

Step 3

Dry the wood completely and thoroughly. Any moisture that remains in the wood will cause mold to grow.

Removing Orange Mold from Shower

Showers accumulate standing water time after time and this is one reason you can find orange mold growing in them.

However, showers are non-porous surfaces where mold does not penetrate below the surface and this makes your job much easier if you are removing the mold.

There are two things you can do about orange mold growing in the shower. Firstly, make sure you dry the shower after every use because molds are attracted to moisture.

Furthermore, you may use a water softener because hard water mixed with shampoo and soap makes the habitat more favorable for mold.

To remove mold that is already growing, you can use a vinegar and hydrogen peroxide solution. Make a mixture diluted with water and then soak a towel with the mixture.

Use the towel to wipe off all the mold. It is recommended to discard the removed matter appropriately in plastic bags and to wear protective gear to keep the mold from coming in contact with skin.

Remove Orange Mold from Ceiling

Ceilings are slightly harder to deal with because they are at a height and one can’t always look behind them to tell the exact cause of the mold.

Also, a ceiling mold means that you have some kind of leakage that is causing this mold or there is some standing water from excessive rainfalls in your area that has made its way to the ceiling.

However, in either case, if there is ceiling mold, you may want to call in a professional but there are still ways to tackle this yourself.

An easy way is to create a solution by mixing a ¼ cup of vinegar and some borax along with hot water to dissolve everything.

Spray this mixture on the mold and use a paint scraper to remove any superficial mold and you’re all set.

Get Rid Orange Mold from Walls

Walls are equally susceptible to orange molds if there is sufficient moisture available for the mold to thrive.

In most cases, orange mold grows only when there is leakage inside the walls that supplies sufficient moisture, or if you live in a place with high amounts of rain.

Rain may also be acidic which aggravates the growth for fungus. In some cases, the mold also grows inside the walls, in this case, it won’t be immediately visible but is only visible when it grows to a large amount and gives off a higher odor.

To remove mold from walls, bleach or vinegar can be used although a more efficient mold remover would be a commercially available mold removal spray.

Use protective measure such as a mask and gloves so you don’t inhale or touch the mold. If mold grows inside the wall, you will have to puncture the plaster on top and clear off any leakage or moisture from the back. This will in most cases also require professional help or at least professional repair.

Related Topics: Orange Mold

Additional Resources & References:

https://cleanwaterpartners.org/

https://www.hunker.com/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *